Can you use a cast iron skillet as a frying pan?
Cast-iron heats and cooks your food evenly, you can use it in the oven or on the stove, and, if it’s properly seasoned, it works just as well (if not better) than a cheap, non-stick skillet.
Is it better to fry chicken in a cast iron skillet?
Fried chicken is the benchmark of Southern cuisine. For the best results, shallow-fry the chicken in a cast iron skillet. You’ll find that the crust adheres better than if you were to deep-fry the chicken.
Is a cast-iron pan worth it?
Cast iron cookware is worth using in the form of pans, griddles, skillets, Dutch ovens, and other shapes of cookware. The iron holds the heat and spreads it evenly for various types of cooking. A cast-iron pan is an unbeatable kitchen equipment piece due to its functionality, durability, and versatility.
How do you clean a cast iron skillet after frying chicken?
Southern Kitchen’s foolproof guide to cleaning your cast iron…
- Step 1: Give it a salt scrub. Salt is a great first step for cleaning your cast iron skillet. …
- Step 2: Hot, soapy water. The next step is to lightly clean the skillet with hot soapy water. …
- Step 3: Dry some more. …
- Step 4: Oil ‘er down.
How do I season a cast iron skillet?
How To Season Your Cast-Iron Skillet:
- Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
- Dry thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
- Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
- Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
What is the difference between a cast-iron skillet and a frying pan?
What is the difference between a skillet and a frying pan? Skillets are made of cast iron, while frying pans are made of stainless steel or aluminum. Skillets are best for roasts, stews, and sauces, while frying pans are best for frying, browning, searing, and sautéing.
What should you cook first in a cast-iron skillet?
The First 5 Things to Cook in Your Cast Iron Pan
- First fry a few eggs. …
- Then sear some pork chops & make a pan sauce. …
- Next, fry up some crispy, tasty schnitzel. …
- Follow up with an easy-fancy frittata. …
- And then make Buffalo chicken dip for the win.
Can I cook eggs in a cast-iron skillet?
The best way to ensure eggs wind up on your plate—rather than your scrub brush—is to properly heat and oil your skillet. … But don’t worry, cast iron makes the perfect egg no matter how you like them done! If you’ve had your coffee, step up your eggs with a pan seared steak or homemade biscuits.