We’ve connected with a lot of folks over this first year and a half of the podcast, but Rich Aurilia is the first incredibly successful athlete we’ve had the chance to interview. He’s also an entrepreneur and one of the founders of Red Stitch Wine.
Rich Aurilia grew up in Brooklyn, NY went off to play college baseball at St. John’s University and was then selected in the 24th round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Texas Rangers. After a few years in them minors, Aurilia worked his was up to the Majors, which began a long, successful career for a number of teams, though he is most known for his tenure with the San Francisco Giants where he was an All Star shortstop. After 15 years in the MLB, Aurilia retired and started his second career – as a wine entrepreneur. He and former teammate and the current manager for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Dave Roberts started Red Stitch Wine.
Rich Aurilia is now 10 years into his entrepreneurial journey in wine, and in our conversation we discuss:
- The key to Aurilia’s success as an underdog – going from 24th round fringe draft pick and creating a successful career as a 15 year MLB veteran.
- How he handled dealing with the limelight and advice for those starting to get attention.
- The advice he would go back and give his younger self when he was just starting out.
- Aurilia discusses what that transition was like going from All-Star to wine entrepreneur
- How he has been able to create a reputable brand in the wine industry and how Red Stitch Wine has carefully crafted their brand story.
- The advantages of moving “slow and steady” vs. fast.
- AND a lot more!
Check out Red Stitch Wine: www.redstitchwine.com
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE:
Many Thanks to Our Sponsor, Le Cordon Bleu
Become part of a great tradition of culinary excellence! With over 120 years of teaching experience, Le Cordon Bleu is well-established as the global leader in culinary, wine and hospitality education. Learn from a team of classically trained teaching chefs with years of experience working in Michelin-star restaurants and the industry’s finest kitchens. Earn the most respected culinary qualifications and live a truly unique cultural experience in one of their 35 institutes around the world! Your culinary journey starts today. Apply now at www.cordonbleu.edu.
Sign-Up For Weekly Advice About the Culinary & Hospitality Industries
I look forward to sending you content, inspiration, tools and am excited to make some positive change in the industry with you.